Monsieur Raymond’s tomb

6. Raymonds Tomb

On the top of a hillock near Asmangadh, stands the tomb of Monsieur Raymond, or General Michel Joachim Marie Raymond.  Monsieur Raymond was a French General in Nizam’s military and was also the founder of Gunfoundry Hyderabad.

In 1775, Raymond set out for Pondicherry to start a merchant shop, but eventually joined the service of the ruling Nizam of Hyderabad in 1786. In 1796, he was appointed Controller of Ordinance and established several cannon and cannonball factories. Guns, ammunition and cannons were forged under his guidance.

Raymond was not only a close friend of the second Nizam, but also won the love and trust of the local people. He was known for his kindness, and bravery. The place where his tomb is constructed is called Moosa-ram-bagh, after him.

The tomb is conical with a square base and of 7 metres in height and has the letters JR engraved on it. The Nizam built the pavilion which collapsed during 2001 and was rebuilt in 2003.

In 1798, Raymond had an untimely and mysterious death. The cause is not known ; some believe he was poisoned while others suspect he may have committed suicide.

All the images on this blog are protected by copyright. Please do not copy, blog or repost in ANY way. If you wish to use them please get in touch with me through email(lakshmi.prabhala@yahoo.co.in)

White elephants?

The main facade of the Rai Rayan Devdi in some sense was preserved and had a fresh coat of paint that might suggest it wasnt subjected to neglect. But the interiors are all revamped and different portions have been sold/leased out. Couldn’t help but wonder about the ‘white elephants’ though – has maintaining the history… Continue reading White elephants?

Jubilee Hall Throne

Known to be the richest man in the world during his time, H.E.H. Mir Osman Ali Khan Bahadur, Asaf Jah VII, was the last Nizam of the Princely State of Hyderabad, until it was invaded and annexed by India in 1948. He ranks fifth in the list of richest people in the history of the… Continue reading Jubilee Hall Throne

K K

Not just any other door/window. It is possibly how/why King Kothi got its name. A nobleman by the name Kamal Khan constructed the palace as his personal residence. And had engraved the initials K K on the doors, windows, and other furniture. The Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan was impressed with the mansion, acquired… Continue reading K K